Take a step back in time with Centaura and experience authentic Costa Rican lifestyle and traditions on horseback through some of the most beautiful landscapes in the country. Old fashioned, Costa Rican values combined with modern facilities and personalized service are what earned Centaura a coveted spot in CNN Travel’s “15 World’s Great Horse Treks”. All skill levels are welcome with over 25 fine, well-trained horses to choose from. Centaura is the perfect place for anyone interested in horseback riding or simply an authentic accommodation option within easy access to Arenal Volcano, hot springs, cloud forest, waterfalls, popular adventure tours and more!
There are four private villas located on the Centaura property and each comes with A/C, ceiling fans, TV, fully equipped kitchen, dining area, living area, and outdoor patio complete with rocking chairs and hammock. Villa Mangoes is a one-bedroom villa with one king bed and one twin bed and is surrounded by beautiful, manicured gardens. Villa Ilan Ilan is another one-bedroom villa with king bed and sprawling mountain views from a wrap around patio. Villa Heliconia is a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom option with a king bed in one room and a queen and two twin beds in the other room. This villa also features a gorgeous jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom. Villa Frutales is the other 2-bedroom villa and comes with king bed in one room and two twin beds in the second room. All your meals are served right in your villa’s dining area (unless you’re out on a ride or tour).
Centaura prides itself on their well maintained gardens, farm, stables, and personalized tour selection. On the property you’ll find a large swimming pool surrounded by lounge chairs and mountain views. The highlight of the property, of course, are the horses with over 25 of the best kept, hand-selected horses for gait, behavior, and spirit. A horse is paired with every rider based on the rider’s experience and size. Feel free to keep the same horse for all your rides at Centaura or experience a different horse on each trek. Treks are private and customized based on your interests – volcano, hot springs, waterfalls, and rainforest rides are all available. If you’re ready to switch up the ride, go where the horses can’t by exploring back country trails on ATVs or mountain bikes. Another unique offering with Centaura is their hot air balloon rides. Both charter balloon rides or shared rides are available (maximum six occupancy), a fabulous way to experience aerial rainforest and volcano views. Other tours you can do from Centaura include canopy zip-line, hanging bridges, hot springs, canyoning, caving, bungee jumping, Rio Celeste, Fortuna Waterfall, and frog farm.
- Located in San Carlos, 2.5 hours north of San Jose
- Four one and two-bedroom villas
- Each villa comes with TV, Wi-Fi, A/C, ceiling fans, fully equipped kitchen, dining area, and living area
- Each villa features a private, outdoor patio with rocking chairs and hammock overlooking the mountains
- All-inclusive (alcoholic drinks extra)
- Pool and jacuzzi
- Pool table
- Hot air balloon rides (private and shared rides available)
- Over 25 fine, well-trained horses ranging from 12 to 16 hands means there’s a horse for every size and skill level
- Immaculate horse stables
- Tack room with a selection of Spanish, Western, and Costa Rican McLellan saddles (no English saddles) in a range of sizes from kid to large adult
- All riding levels welcome
- Customized, private riding to beaches, volcanoes, rainforest, cloud forest, mountains, waterfalls, rivers, and hot springs
- On Sundays, experience riding in a traditional Topé, Rodeo, or Cabalgata festival
- “We love to spoil and pamper the expert riders with magnificent animals”
- CNN Travel: 15 of the World’s Great Horse Treks