Escape into the misty mountains of San Ramon and you’ll discover the charm of Villa Blanca. This boutique, green certified hotel embodies every aspect of the surrounding cloud forest region through the entire guest experience – from local dishes using hand selected ingredients from the hotel’s gardens and greenhouses to the handcrafted furniture that sits around a warm fireplace in every “casita”. Sitting just over an hour outside the hustle of San Jose, Villa Blanca is the perfect one or two night eco-retreat at the start or conclusion of your Costa Rica trip.
The hotel is located on 75-acres of rolling hills and adjacent to the 2,000 acre Los Angeles Private Biological Nature Reserve. All 35 rooms at Villa Blanca feature vaulted ceilings with fans (no A/C needed in the cooler cloud forest climate), handcrafted furniture, fireplace, private porch, minibar, coffee maker, Wi-Fi and safe. The Superior Casitas offer a queen bed or two twin-sized beds while the Deluxe Casitas are slightly larger with a small living room area and queen bed. For a more romantic option, the Honeymoon Suite also has a whirlpool bath, terrace, and queen bed. Villa Blanca is a pioneer and leader in sustainable tourism and has been awarded for its green accomplishments with 5 Green Leaves from the Certification of Sustainable Tourism as well as recognition as a top-rated hotel in Costa Rica.
While staying at Villa Blanca, spend half a day strolling around the beautiful grounds and botanical gardens. Since it is the only hotel in Costa Rica located within a cloud forest reserve, you’ll have easy access to self-guided, moderate trails through the whimsical cloud forest. You can also sign up for one of many guided trail walks during the day or at night to learn about the various fauna, birds, and mammals that call this reserve home. After a day hiking the trails, pamper yourself at Voices of Nature Spa where natural ingredients from local gardens will leave you in complete harmony. Since Villa Blanca is an off-the-beaten path mountain hotel, you’ll have an a-la-carte breakfast (included), lunch, and dinner at El Sendero Restaurant. Here traditional and regional dishes are artfully prepared with fresh, organic herbs and ingredients to create a memorable dining experience. The food is so delicious at El Sendero Restaurant that many San Jose residents will journey from the city to experience its fine cuisine in a cozy, rustic setting. In the evening, enjoy a cinema production in the multimedia movie theater or simply curl up by the stone fireplace with a glass of wine from an extensive wine list at the Aqui No Mas Lobby Bar. Breakfast is included with your stay and includes freshly made yogurts, cheeses and granola along with freshly baked bread from Villa Blanca’s own bakery, El Café del Bosque.
- Located 1.5 hour northwest of San Jose in San Ramon
- 35 private Casitas or Suites
- Each room equipped with mini-bar, Wi-Fi, fireplace, coffee maker, and in-room safe
- No TVs or A/C in the rooms (the cloud forest is a cooler climate and A/C is not needed/necessary)
- Delicious dishes at El Sendero Restaurant are accredited to talented chefs and locally produced bread, yogurts, cheeses, granola, herbs, fruits and vegetables
- Extensive wine list and variety of cocktails and beers at Aqui No Mas Bar
- Relax at their wellness center, Vida en Balance, where you’ll find yoga sessions, whirlpool, sauna, and gym
- Nightly movie presentations at THX Movie Theater
- José Miguel Alfaro Research Station
- On site activities include touring the organic greenhouses, nature exhibits, or self-guided trails
- Experience a Costa Rican farm first-hand by milking a cow (daily at 8:30am and 2:30pm)
- Visit the charming wedding chapel, which was a 50th anniversary wedding gift from the former president to his wife
- Travel+Leisure Hotel
- Level 5 CST certification (Certificate for Sustainable Tourism)
- Pack for a Purpose Hotel – ask us how you can help bring donations to local communities