Canopy Camp Darien
Canopy Camp Darien
If you are looking for the best, most intense wildlife Panama has to offer and things like swim-up bars, room service, and satellite TV don’t interest you, then come give Canopy Camp a try. Located in the most exotic and untouched region of Panama, the famed Darien, the Canopy Camp features eight luxury African safari style tents and access to some of the most incredible wildlife in the region.
This Darien region is so remote the Pan-American Highway actually ends here, the only section missing connecting North America to South America which led to the common nickname of the ‘Darien Gap.’ The lack of development certainly has it’s benefits however as the Darien is home to the largest national park Central America, the 1.4 million acre Darien National Park. The park was proclaimed a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1980 and is home to incredible swaths of primary and secondary rainforest, hundreds of birds, mammals, and reptiles. Routinely named one of the best birding destinations in the world, bird watchers can spot scarlet macaws, toucans, manakins, fly catchers, and the national bird of Panama – the harpy eagle – to name a few. Mammals big and small call this rainforest home such as sloths, coatis, monkeys, deer, tapir, and cats like ocelots and the mighty jaguar. Your expert naturalist guides will lead you on hikes through the rainforest or driving tours in their customized 4×4 open-air birding vehicle. If you need a change of pace for a day you can visit a local Embera indigenous village or do a horseback riding tour through the jungle.
- Located in the remote and exotic Darien region of Panama
- Opened in 2012 after years of searching for the perfect spot and construction
- Features 8 large, custom designed African safari-style luxury tents
- All tents are built on raised platforms to keep you high and dry in the rainforest.
- Tents feature teak wood floors, large windows on all sides for cross ventilation, overhead light, bed lamps, oscillating fan, and private covered deck with lounge chairs to take in the incredible natural beauty if the Darein.
- Each tent has a private bathroom with flush toilets, sink, and outdoor shower
- Rates include breakfast, lunch, and dinner (wine included)
- No kids under 13 are allowed
- All packages must be 7-nights due to the isolated location of the camp
- Wi-Fi and guest laptop is available to stay in touch
- Solar panels provide 110-120V electricity to charge cameras, batteries, etc…
- The 1.4 million acre Darien National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Expert guides to help you identify new species or snap the perfect picture
- Customized 4×4 birding vehicles to make your visit one to remember
- Optional tours to visit local Embera Indian villages, hiking, horseback riding
- TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence year after year
- Part of the award winning Canopy Family
- National Geographic Top 50 Eco-Lodges of the World – 2009