Turquoise waters, check! Sandy beach, check! Delicious, fresh dining, check! Endless opportunities for adventure and relaxation both on land and in water, check and check! Casa Cayuco, an eco-resort that sits on Bastimentos Island in Bocas del Toro, is passionate about two things – sustainability and creating one-of-a-kind experiences for guests. Whether you’re looking to snorkel or fish, explore nearby parks and reserves, immerse with the local Ngobe Bugle Indians, or sip on a tropical cocktail while overlooking crystal clear waters, Casa Cayuco has a “casita” for you! This is the perfect hotel for couples, families, and small groups looking for an off-the-beaten-path, island experience.
Casa Cayuco was built with a local wood, Nispero, by a team of local, indigenous Nobe Bugle Indians. The property consists of 4 standalone Cabins and 2 Lodge Suites with private baths and covered porches. Each unit features its own unique layout and all feature imported, Egyptian cotton sheets that are fair trade and hand-made in India, gel-top memory foam mattresses made especially for tropical environments, and cool ocean breezes. There are cabins that sit in front of the beach while others are tucked into the jungle, footsteps from the sand. Both one-bedroom and two-bedroom options are available with bedding arrangements that sleep anywhere from two to six people. Your stay at Casa Cayuco includes all meals and snacks (alcoholic drinks extra) created from locally sourced produce, including fresh catch-of-the-day dishes! All meals are served “family-style” on communal tables to get to know fellow guests at the resort.
Staying on an island doesn’t mean you’re limited to sun and beach (although that’s a perfectly acceptable option as well!). Included with your stay at Casa Cayuco are use of kayaks, snorkel gear, boogie boards, surfboards, and SUP boards. Are you up for a bit more adventure? Sign up for one of the nearby off-island excursions ranging from educational tours about organic chocolate and local wildlife to adventure tours like the canopy zip-line, surfing, or cave exploration! There are a number of trails located on the island to explore on your own or on a guided hike, which is the best way to spot wildlife and learn about the surrounding forest. At the end of the day, there’s nothing better than lounging on the main dock, a common social area that has become known as the Casa Cayuco “living room” where food, drinks, and laughs are shared among fellow guests.
- Located on Bastimentos Island, Bocas del Toro
- 4 standalone Cabins and 2 Lodge Suites with private porch
- All meals and snacks included (alcohol additional)
- 45-minute boat ride from Bocas del Toro to Isla Bastimentos (must leave Bocas del Toro prior to 4:30pm)
- Direct beach access
- Self-guided (or guided) trails around the island
- Main lodge with bar, lounge and dining areas
- “Living room” dock with hammocks and seating
- Solar electricity and water catchment & purification system
- Complimentary use of kayaks, boogie boards, surf boards, SUP boards and snorkel gear
- Nearby activities include: Zapatilla Marine Park, Starfish beach, snorkeling Crawl Cay, dolphin watching, Red Frog Beach & zip-line, organic chocolate farm, guided day & night hikes, snorkeling, scuba diving and fishing
- *No A/C, just cool sea breezes
- *No TV
- *Please note that due to the remote location and eco-mindset of the hotel, there may be times when Wi-Fi and/or electricity become temporarily unavailable
- Pack for a Purpose Hotel – ask us how you can help bring donations to local communities